The world of work has changed.
● There are 500,000 unfulfilled IT jobs in the US
● There 200,000 unfulfilled IT jobs in Canada
● Jobs in STEM industries are expected to grow to nearly 9 million by 2022
● 50% of current jobs will not exist in 2025
● 45% of jobs are in danger of being replaced by technology
● 67% of software jobs are outside of the tech industry i.e: banking, natural resources, government, entertainment
● 90% of parents want their children to study computer science
● 42% of young adults, aged 20-29 are underemployed and living with their parents11
Traditional education hasn’t been able to keep up.
● Only 5 of 18 compulsory high school credits are STEM-based.
● Fewer than 20% of students take critical grade 12 Math and Science courses required for STEM-based degrees
● Over half of university students are enrolled in social/arts programs, feeding only 1/3rd of the job market.
There are incredible opportunities for students in STEM fields.
● 70% of the top-paying jobs require STEM education including the trades.
● People in STEM fields can earn 26 percent more money on average and be less likely to experience job loss. The STEM degree-holders also tend to enjoy higher earnings overall, regardless of whether they work in STEM or non-STEM occupations.